Thursday 15 September 2011

My take on "Vinu, I am getting married....."


Recently read a book titled “Vinu, I am getting married” ….Bought this book on priority basis because, the author of this book happens to be a colleague (Vineet Mishra) and a book club member. Since the meeting was on Friday, had to finish it before the meet. Book appealed to me for two reasons: firstly it was very handy to carry. Secondly, liked the cover of the book…very traditional…

Book discusses about the college life, days spent at the hostel, love, friendship, etc. The novel takes the readers back to their college days, churning the memories with vivid details of friendship.

This is a story about a guy named Vineet and his journey / adventure during the college days. During the course of engineering, Mallika his junior needs some help for assignment. Vineet agrees to help her out. After few meets, they become good friends… suddenly one fine day, Mallika send an invitation of her engagement. He meets her fiancĂ©e and feels he is not THE RIGHT GUY for her….whenever he sees the guy (Arjun) with her, he feels jealous, but does not realize the reason for jealousy…one of his friend Saurabh steps in, and tells Mallika to send the wedding card. When Vineet sees the card, he realizes the reason for jealousy..he was not aware that he himself was in love with her ….finally he manages to marry the girl whom he loves with some adventure BUT NOT WITHOUT the help from his friends……

Generally, books are of two types: some try to convey a message while others are light reading…This book falls into the latter category…

As they say, you like a book because you are able to identify with the characters or you have been through with the similar situation (s)….  

I liked two things in the book…”the mind” which takes the form of "angel & devil", the devil sits on one shoulder and the angel on the other shoulder; and secondly the lizard episode…..I myself am very scared of lizard even if it is a BABY lizard….leave aside the grown up ones…..could imagine what would have happened to the guy who was lying on the table unconscious and someone shouts “there is lizard on the table” ! ! ! he hears that and starts running…..he was supposed to be lying unconscious but after hearing lizard he starts running…For me it would have been the other way round…after hearing that there is a lizard I would have fainted!!!!!!!...similar incidence happened at my place 2 days back….was staying overnight at my uncle’s place. when I came home, I tried to open the safety door (there are 2 doors, safety and main) cautiously since at times one can find a lizard inside the safety door…Since there was no lizard I very confidently opened the main door.. As soon as I opened the door, the lizard fell down. She was hiding behind the main door…didn’t know who was more shocked, I to find the lizard or the lizard herself to find the owner coming soooooo soon. The adventure of shooing away took almost an hour…..in the meantime, my niece (12yrs old) called up. She requested me not to shoo away the lizard, since it was raining outside, she said the lizard might get WET!!!!!!!!!

Overall liked the book. Really we miss the college days. Having samosas with chai at the tapri…sitting at the back so that you can read the books, make fun of the professor, to avoid answering questions asked by the professor, bunking the classes to watch cricket match or a movie, etc etc…Such type of books helps you to reminiscences those days!!!!!!!!!...

However felt that vocabulary was missing a bit….  

No comments :

Post a Comment